The Conservative Group on Wokingham Borough Council has unveiled its manifesto for the 2018 Local Elections, including a pledge to set up a “Rent to Buy” scheme for prospective first-time buyers.
The launch event, led by the Leader of the Council and the Conservative Group at the Oakwood Centre in Woodley, set out the Conservatives’ achievements and their pledges going forward.
The manifesto, entitled “Delivering the Best for Our Borough”, places at the top of the agenda delivering affordable homes whilst ensuring sustainable housing in the right places.
Central to this is a promise to introduce a “Rent to Buy” policy for prospective first-time buyers.
This would allow prospective first-time buyers to use part of their Council rent towards a deposit to buy their own home.
Such a policy is vital to an area such as Wokingham Borough, where many struggle to get on to the property ladder due to high rents.
Younger residents, in particular, face the difficulty of saving a deposit whilst living in rented accommodation.
Other policies set out in the manifesto include:
- Stopping inappropriate development across the Borough by working with residents and town and parish councils to fight planning applications in unsustainable locations
- Helping more residents have their own homes by creating a Self-Build programme
- Investing £124million to develop major new roads to meet the demands of new and existing residents
- Enabling schools and colleges to be central to communities by enhancing the shared use of their resources, such as halls, sports facilities, etc.
- Opening Ryeish Green Leisure facilities in 2018, demolishing and rebuilding an enhanced Bulmershe Leisure Centre, and rebuilding an enhanced Carnival Pool Leisure Centre.
Cllr Charlotte Haitham Taylor, Leader of the Council and the Conservative Group, said:
“The Conservative administration at Wokingham Borough Council delivers high quality, efficient services that protect our most vulnerable and promote equality of opportunity.
“We don’t waste your money – instead, we listen to you and invest in the things you say are most important.
“Thanks to a Conservative Council, our Borough continues to be one of the best places to live and raise a family in the UK.
“Our manifesto shows how we have delivered, and will continue to deliver, the best for Wokingham Borough.”